Saturday, June 2, 2007

Project: SKS




When originally purchasing my first SKS, a Yugo M59 (no grenade launcher), I thought I would just leave it as is. But, like most intrepid firearms enthusiasts, I couldn't leave well enough alone. I have ensured to have fewer than the maximum number of imported parts, as required by 922(r). Over the last 8 months or so, I have converted the M59 from an antiquated rifle into a modernized SHTF (sh*t hits the fan) rifle. I will list the modifications I have made to this fine piece of former Yugoslavian goodness.


The first modification I made was to dump the "too-short for anyone but a Communist Chinese" stock. I honestly don't know how anyone could shoot this rifle comfortably with the originally stock. But I digress... The stock is an ATI Ultralight stock. This stock is claimed to fit all the SKS variants...well, that's true, if you count dremel modifications. The rifle did not want to sit far enough back to be solidly locked into the front of the stock. Much dremel work later, I had that problem solved.


The stock also came with a replacement handguard for the gas tube. Ok, so I just change it out. Wrong. The pin holding the handguard on would not budge. I pounded, and pounded, and pounded on the pin with a hammer and punch for over half an hour. It would not budge. So, I did what anyone would do in my situation...threw the hammer through the TV. Ok, I actually didn't do that, but I almost did. I think that pin was the designer's joke on us all. This problem required a simple solution...buy a new gas tube and hanguard assembly from TAPCO. Replaced original gas tube with a TAPCO gas tube. Problem solved.


When I ordered the gas tube assembly from TAPCO, I decided to go ahead and purchase the 922(r) compliant US-made parts that TAPCO had to offer. Parts purchased were: operating rod, gas piston, gas tube assembly with handguard, and 20 round detachable magazine (separate line on this wonderful thing below). All parts fit great, with the exception of the gas tube assembly; this required filing on top of the gas port at the rear, and figuring out that I should sand down the base of the assembly to make it fit the ATI stock.


Another modification that I made was to switch out the blade bayonet with a spike bayonet. The blade bayonet wouldn't fit the ATI ultralight stock, so switcheroo, and now I have a monopod also...cool.


TAPCO 20 round detachable magazine...all I can say...awesome. No misfeeds, all 20 rounds fit, and it looks way cool. I'm going to buy at least 2 more. Finally, an SKS magazine that works as advertised. Can't say enough good things about it.


Also, ordered a surplus Chinese SKS sling and slapped it on. It's a place holder until I get a tactical sling...thinking a Galco Battle Sling.


Took this fine weapon to the range...extremely accurate for an SKS. Should be...the bore was near pristine. No misfeeds or single shot operations, i.e. gas system worked with the new TAPCO gas tube assembly. Had two misfires...both due to bad primers on two rounds of 7.62X39mm Brown Bear. Avoid this ammo. Buy the Monarch brand, if you can find it. Same factory, way better quality control. I found plenty at Academy Sports.


Next, I plan on rebluing the receiver cover, as it finish is nearly totally worn off of it.


So, new tactical sling, 2 more magazines (maybe 4), and some rebluing, and I should have a pretty good SHTF rifle.


Please feel free to email me or leave comments...or both.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent post, nice looking rifle.

Did you leave the stock sights on? If so do you plan to upgrade?

mikej said...

Cool looking rifle, Arsenal Man! I stumbled across your blog while looking for reviews of the Tapco detachable mags. So far they've all been positive. I think I need to tart up one of my SKS rifles. Wish I'd bought a case of them when they were going for eighty bucks.